Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Voice of Truth

It was the Summer of 2005.  I had just finished my undergraduate degree in social work from Capital University, able to go to school full time while working full time.  But I knew graduate school was not optional.  To go, I had to quit my full time job and incur debt a year-and-a-half at a private graduate school.


My head was spinning with doubt and what if's...  You know the kind.
  • What if I cannot find a job?
  • What if I flunk out?
  • You are foolish to be going to graduate school at this age and incurring debt.
  • Social workers don't make much money...who are you fooling?
  • You think this is what God wants you to do but once again...you'll be wrong.
Now you could say that was doubt...but it was also the idol of comfort and security screaming to be worshiped.  I was walking away from something I worshiped...financial security.

I worked for a printing company and in my final weeks before grad school started.  I often took lunch in a relaxing place and listen to music on my iPod...shuffled.

This song came on, tears flowed, my mind was renewed, fear subsided... 



I finished graduate school eight years ago, have worked steadily since graduation, and God has blessed me doing with a dream job with work that I equate to serving Him.

Do not bow down to the idol of comfort and security...do not let fear take over what you know to be God's truth.

Trust me, I have to do this daily...daily!






3 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this very touching and meaningful post, Denise,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! This post reminded me of the feelings I felt when I made the decision to go to seminary and get by masters degree in youth ministry. Glad to know we're not alone in the decisions we make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this as I begin a new day.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!