Well it's Friday...and that means FIVE FACTS on Kim and Xanthe's blog. I thought today I would write about my roots...no, no, no not my hair (At age 55 I have never colored my hair)...
No, my Ancestry roots~~~~
1. My father grew up with chickens. He tells a story about trying to get a chicken in the hen house...the chicken would not mind so my dad got mad and hit it with a wooden plank. They had chicken that night for supper.
2. My 4th great grandfather, Benoni T. Powers, was raised by Captain William Powers...but rumors abound for decades...and later comes DNA testing...and the rumor that Benoni T. Powers was really the illegitimate child of one of Henry McWhorter's sons could no longer be dismissed when DNA testing proved the rumor true.
3. My grandmother Dora Frances Kelly's lineage flows through the McWhorter line and she married my grandfather, Coy Columbus Powers, great-great grandson of Benoni T. Powers. So they were related but did not know it.
4. My 5th great grandfather, Henry McWhorter, was one of the first white settlers of West Virginia. His cabin, built in 1793, still stands near Jane Lew, Lewis County, West Virginia.
5. My great-grandmother, Margaret Jane Gordon Kelley, shown here at age 16, did not marry until she was age 41.
So now you've met some of the fam...and I am a part of them all. Stick around...I'll introduce you to some more of my kin in future posts!
With gratitude (for my heritage),