Friday, August 17, 2012

5 Facts Friday - My Roots!

Well it's Friday...and that means FIVE FACTS on Kim and Xanthe's blog.  I thought today I would write about my roots...no, no, no not my hair (At age 55 I have never colored my hair)...



No, my Ancestry roots~~~~

1.  My father grew up with chickens.  He tells a story about trying to get a chicken in the hen house...the chicken would not mind so my dad got mad and hit it with a wooden plank.  They had chicken that night for supper.



2.  My 4th great grandfather, Benoni T. Powers, was raised by Captain William Powers...but rumors abound for decades...and later comes DNA testing...and the rumor that Benoni T. Powers was really the illegitimate child of one of Henry McWhorter's sons could no longer be dismissed when DNA testing proved the rumor true.



3.  My grandmother Dora Frances Kelly's lineage flows through the McWhorter line and she married my grandfather, Coy Columbus Powers, great-great grandson of Benoni T. Powers.  So they were related but did not know it.





4.  My 5th great grandfather, Henry McWhorter, was one of the first white settlers of West Virginia.  His cabin, built in 1793, still stands near Jane Lew, Lewis County, West Virginia.

Ten Truths

5.  My great-grandmother, Margaret Jane Gordon Kelley, shown here at age 16, did not marry until she was age 41.



So now you've met some of the fam...and I am a part of them all.  Stick around...I'll introduce you to some more of my kin in future posts!

With gratitude (for my heritage),
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. It's so fascinating and I love the old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to know so much about your roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky to know all this about your roots, it must mean a lot!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Denise you have gone back a long way ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic set of photos - I can spend hours browsing through photos like these - wondering what life was like for them! Look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful family history. You are fortunate to have these wonderful vintage photos. Love the chicken dinner story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. denise, the photos are great. Lucky you. Life has its little twists doesn't it.
    I once raised chickens and let me say that that is what I would like to have done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great that you know so much about your ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lineage details and pics. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I am a genealogist also. Have not posted anything about that yet. Visiting from BTS.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!