Saturday, April 19, 2014

Imperfect

I have been through a tremendous dry spell inspiration-wise...although I have found myself digging into some courses since the first of the year.

Brene' Brown's Gifts of Imperfection part two class has been one of them...and she always gets me to thinking.

Now in West Virginia for 10 days (stories to come)...I'm able to recharge and experience renewal doing what we introverts do best...


I've been thinking about imperfection.  And during this holy week, how much my flawed, sinful self cost Christ.  Imperfect!  Watching Son of God last night, I was moved when Jesus had called Matthew (a tax collector) to follow Him. Even some of the disciples prior to Jesus' encounter, expressed their disdain.



When I researched the status of tax collectors in Jesus' time, Bible History dot com makes it perfectly clear the reason for disdain.
The Jews detested these tax collectors not only on account of their abusive and tyrannical attitude, but because the very taxes that they were forced to collect by the Roman government were a badge of servitude and a constant reminder that God had forsaken His people. The tax collectors were always classed by the people with the harlots, usurers, gamblers, thieves, and dishonest herdsmen, who lived promiscuous, lawless lives. Some of the common terms for the tax collectors were "licensed robbers" and "beasts in human shape." 
And yet Matthew displayed one of the most radically changed lives in response to an invitation from Jesus.  He did not hesitate. He did not look back.  He left a life of wealth and security for a life of poverty and uncertainty.  He abandoned the pleasures of this world for the promise of eternal life.


So what started to be a post about a still life has turned into a celebration of God's grace as well as a reminder for me, a prick of conviction, to be merciful of the imperfection I experience each day ~ from myself and others.

All is grace.  Happy Easter.  (also a late link up with Textured Tuesday...)


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Denise you write your thoughts so well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viv...I am praying this time away is a turnaround and I'll be writing more.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful lesson here for all of us. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see you back on here. I too, have had a horrible spell of dryness! I have to fight through the feelings of 'not being what I should be'. I keep breathing, "If not for grace".
    Not only going through a record breaking winter up here, but a move in Dec from our farm of 28 years… to something new, where I feel like i don't quite 'fit'.
    Spring is peeking….. with the hope it brings. Thanks Denise, for your always thoughtful posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is always hard. I'm so glad Jesus is our constant!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for these beautifully shared thoughts. Grace is so needful in this world. Blessings for a wonderful resurrection life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is grace...it truly is! Oh that I might always have that perspective.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully with your time away you will be refreshed and renewed for every aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacation is always good for me. It's more about having more unscheduled time with no pressure...giving this introvert time to reflect, recharge, and rebuild resilience for when I'm out in the world. Thanks, Sarah.

      Delete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!