Sunday, January 26, 2014

Slow Me Down That I May See

My pastor showed this video in church and to much chagrin...I believe this is so true.

A social experiment was done in a Washington DC subway, captured in the Washington Post article, Pearls Before Breakfast, showing how busy and pre-occupied we are as a society that we are not present to the goodness around us.  Joshua Bell is a Grammy-award winning violinist and conductor, once a child prodigy, playing on an instrument worth $3 million.  Watch as he plays in the subway area of DC as people go to work.



I believe he earned approximately $30 in his open violin case and very few paid him any attention at all.

This strikes so much conviction in my heart...as I know my heavenly Father is lavishing wonderful gifts upon me continually that go unnoticed because I fail to see...to stop...to contemplate...to listen...to notice.  If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?  Am I missing???


I'm sure I am not alone.

5 comments:

  1. No, you are definitely not alone. Thank you for the reminder to look and really see the goodness that is around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think photography has helped me to stop and savor moments, but it amazing how few fail to recognize talent and beauty right before their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true...and I am often guilty of this. We are bombarded with so much...so much stuff, so much information, so much to get done.

    Bless you for this!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much wisdom here! Photography has a way of slowing us down, I think. And we have to remind ourselves to give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Dotti, I love your image also. The most wonderful time of day for me is morning and it is probably because it is slow and easy with my coffee just as your image shows.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is read personally by me and is deeply appreciated!